Sunday, September 12, 2010

So it was brought to my attention that I have abandoned my blog...as most do. :)
We have lived in the GNO for a few days over a year now and I think this is actually becoming home. I miss Texas with ALL my heart, but I am pretty content with being here for now. With the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina a lot of the old media footage has resurfaced and I am seeing with a different perspective. I see the flood waters and peoples home and I know that in those pictures are houses...but in those houses are potentially people's loved ones. People had a general opinion that the people here had the chance to get out. Yes, those with reliable vehicles and access to transportation had a little bit of time. But everyday people like you and me were affected. So many of my clients lost their homes, families and memories in that disaster. Me? I was miffed that my mobile home was delivered late. But as I see these pictures and see places that I drive on a weekly basis...it breaks my heart and makes me realize how thankful I am for the blessings I have. Seeing those pictures makes me ache for those that lost loved ones and the phrase that comes into my heart is...that's my home. I live here. No, I wasn't here in 2005 and did not lose anyone or anything, but to see the growing pains from the disaster as well as the triumph from recovery, I feel pride for where I am now from.

Yes, New Orleans is about partying, drinking and being uninhibited.
But it is also about family, traditions, heritage, culture, togetherness and unity...those are the things I am proud to NOW be a part of. I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment